Monday, September 25, 2006

Ore

Did I mention that I started my MFA program? Because I did. Anyway. I wrote a long (like 5 pages in Word, but of course as poets we generally don't go all the way to the edge of the page with each line) thing in response to a prompt. And felt good about it. And went back over it again and didn't feel so good about it. It goes both ways. Sometimes you're like "meh" and stuff is just sort of pouring out of you in that altered writer state and you pretty much type it up just as it was in your notebook and it turns out to be awesome and in need of little revision. And sometimes you think it's awesome and you read it over and it's not quite so awesome. But I still see it as sort of the raw ore that contains what I need, what I'll work with and refine. It's there, hewn up from whatever state I was in, the raw ideas and connections I need to work on and figure out. There is stuff in there you don't even realize until someone else points it out.

No comments: